The Stratford Festival Archives is located at 350 Douro Street, Stratford, Ontario, N5A 3S7, Canada.
Mailing Address: 55 Queen Street, P.O. Box 520, Stratford, Ontario, Canada N5A 6V2
Direct Festival Phone Line: 519-271-4040
Liza Giffen, Archives Director. E-mail:
Christine Schindler, Archives Coordinator, ext. 4328. E-mail:
Nora Polley, Archives Assistant, ext. 4315. E-mail:
Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Whenever possible, please call before visiting the Archives. Walk-in traffic is welcome, but calling ahead of time allows us to have materials ready for you when you come in. Please also note that the Archives is at times closed for special events.
The Archives are open to the public; in-person access and on-site use are free of charge. For the general public, there are costs associated with photocopies and reproductions. Restrictions apply to photographs and other materials covered under agreements governed by the Canadian Actors' Equity Association and other professional associations. A charge of $25 per hour applies when Archives staff conducts research on behalf of users who cannot do their research in person at the Archives.
Using Stratford Festival Archival Production Photographs: Policies and Procedures
To use production photographs from the Stratford Festival Archives, the following steps must be followed:
- Submit your request in detail in writing to:
Stratford Festival Archives
55 Queen Street, P.O. Box 520
Stratford, ON, Canada N5A 6V2
- Sign and return the photo release that we will send to you.
- We will forward your request to the Canadian Actors’ Equity Association and ask for permission to release images to you. You will have to follow the procedure outlined by Equity, and Equity will also determine if you have to pay a fee to the actors (currently a minimum of $122.06 per actor per image).
- Once Equity responds, we will ask you to contact actors for their permission. If we have actor’s agent contact information we will give it to you. Actor contact information is also available from:
- Canadian Actors Equity: 416-867-9165, or firstname.lastname@example.org
American Actors Equity: 212-869-8530
British Actors Equity: 011-44-207-379-6000, or email@example.com
ACTRA: 416-489-1311, or 1-800-387-3516
Screen Actors Guild (USA): 855-724-2387
- Once you have forwarded a copy of the actors' permissions to the Archives, we will send you the images and credit captions. We generally provide photos via email unless another method of delivery is requested. Photos may not be archived or re-used for other projects.
Note that our basic photo fee is $30 per image; the fee for commercial use - including use in film, documentaries and television programs - is $50 per image. If research must be conducted on your behalf, we will add $25 per hour. HST will be added. Payment will be processed through the Festival's Finance Department and is due upon receipt of invoice. Note that as part of our standard photo release procedure, we require that you forward us a copy of any item in which the photograph appears.
If you have any questions, please contact us.