Category  
October
No events found for selected month
October

Israeli Folk Dancing

Discovery Centre
Sunday, June 23, and Saturday, September 21
12:30 p.m.

Created in the early 20th century by settlers in what later became the state of Israel, Israeli folk dancing is now a fixture at Jewish celebrations all over the world. Learn a few of the dances that the grandchildren of the characters in Fiddler on the Roof might have done at their weddings. No observers, please. Admission: $15.

Will I learn the same dances that I see on stage in Fiddler on the Roof?
Israeli folk dancing was created in the decades following the events of Fiddler on the Roof. Immigrants from Eastern Europe (the location of the play) and elsewhere moved to Israel to begin the development of a Jewish state, and combined their different traditions and styles of dance into a new form. The style of dancing you see in Fiddler on the Roof is a precursor to Israeli folk dancing.

What will I do in the workshop?
You will dance! The workshop is fully participatory. If your mobility is compromised, we encourage you to participate to the extent of your ability. If you are not physically able to dance at all, the workshop may not be a good choice for you.

Does the workshop require previous dance training or experience?
Not at all! Israeli folk dancing is easy to learn, and this workshop is for beginners.

Is it suitable for children?
Kids aged 10 and up will be able to learn the choreography.

What should I wear?
Wear comfortable clothing that does not restrict your movement. Wear flat shoes that attach securely to your feet (flip-flops are discouraged) and that have good traction.

Sustaining support for the Forum
is generously provided by
Kelly & Michael Meighen and
the T.R. Meighen Foundation

Support for the 2014 Forum is
generously provided by
Nandita & Julian Wise

Canadian Signature Experiences