The Festival and Avon theatres offer two types of receivers:
- Stethoscope style: to be used on its own. (You must remove your hearing aid and turn it off when using this device.)
- Pendant style: can be used with regular headphones or earbuds, or can be connected to your hearing device using a cable or a neck loop antenna for T-Switch-equipped devices. The pendant-style receiver can also be used with properly equipped cochlear implant.
- Please note at the Avon theatre there is one only pendant style device. This device may be reserved by calling the Box Office.
The Tom Patterson and Studio theatres:
- Have only the stethoscope - style receivers, which cannot connect to your device.
We encourage you to reserve your hearing assistive receivers in advance, but on-site requests can be accommodated if quantities permit. We would welcome a donation to our hearing assistance program to offset the cost of owning and maintaining these devices. Donations can be made at any of our theatres when you come to pick up your headset. A minimum of $2.00 is suggested. Thank you.
Audio Described Performances
Audio Described performances are offered to patrons with vision disabilities at the Festival Theatre on selected dates throughout the season (marked on our performance calendar). A live audio describer gives details of costumes, sets and key on-stage action. Delivered via headset, the description supplements the spoken dialogue without interfering with it. For more information, see the Audio Described Performances page.
Our properties have several features to make them more accessible:
- Motorized door controls on barrier-free doors and accessible washrooms
- Elevators in all multi-level, public-use buildings
- Special access parking; a limited number of spaces may be reserved in advance at the time of ticket purchase
- Special access and companion seats, which need to be reserved at the time of ticket purchase (Sorry these cannot be booked online)
- Special access washrooms with assistive bars
- Hand railings in all theatres (Festival, Avon, Tom Patterson 1, Tom Patterson 2, Studio)
Please speak to any member of the Front of House staff for more information.